Monday, January 15, 2007

Break-up Season & Headhunters

Doing an MBA can be an extremely costly adventure!
-tuition fee
-college fee
-readin materials
-traveling expenses
-living expenses
-partying expenses
...
...
...
-relationships

It seems like it's break-up season right now. Over the last week I found out that at least 10 of my classmates got dumped by their partners over the last 2 months (interestingly most of them over the holidays) - one guy even after a 9 year relationship. Most of them cite the same reasons...the MBA takes the best of you and you don't really have time to invest in the relationship.
It was quite shocking to hear that, but at least I'm not alone, so now we can feel miserable together rather than alone ;)


Tomorrow I'm meeting with an Investment Bank in London. Exciting stuff! I met one of their managers at one of the events at the business school and he invited me to sit down and talk about career options at the firm.
Well, let's see how that goes...
Also, I got a contacted by a London-based recruiting agency. Two of their clients might be interested in me and asked to meet me. One of them is a small New York M&A advisory investment bank specializing in the Oil, Gas & Energy sector. The other company is an energy consulting firm.
Seems like my energy background helps me a lot...energy is HOT HOT HOT right now.
I'll see if I can fit their requests for meetings in my tight schedule *hehe*

Today was the first Finance II class...with our dutch lecturer - funny guy! The course is exactly what I had expected, so I am quite happy to have chosen it for the second term. Tomorrow morning is "International Business and Global Governance"-time. Unfortunately I will miss my afternoon lecture (Marketing) due to my trip to London. I guess that means: more work! I'll have to sit down and actually do all the readings myself ;o)

I'm also really looking forward to my first Macroeconomics class on Wednesday. The Professor (Oren Sussman from Israel) is the guy who interviewed me. From last year's MBAs I know that he has some quite controversial views and that he is an extremely straightforward guy...if he thinks your opinion on something is crap, he will tell you exactly that. Should be quite challenging!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home