Saturday, September 23, 2006

Moving to the UK

I'm finally in the UK.

Today Daniel, the 2 Andys and myself drove all the way from Germany to Oxford. Fortunately everything went according to plan.
From the ferry "Pride of Kent" I was able to see the beautiful English coast - at night :)

I had to drive from Dover to Oxford. First it was really weird to drive on the "wrong side of the road", but as long as there were cars on the street it was not much of a problem. It was harder to drive when there was no other car around...

We arrived in Oxford somewhere around 2 o'clock in the morning. First we dropped off Daniel & his friend at Green College. The porter of Green college was a really strange guy. When I asked him where Wadham college (my college) is, he just answered that he didn't know that college - very funny *haha*. In the end he sent us off to South Parks Road, but there was no Wadham college, so I asked the porter of another college. He said that he didn't know there was a college called Wadham - awww come on...I hate the British humor already. When I turned around he said "I have the funny feeling that it might be on Parks Road!". Luckily this time we were told the truth.

Finally Andy and I made it to Wadham College at 3:30 in the morning. I got my room keys and we started unpacking the van. Unfortunately my room was at the opposite side of the entrance of the college...but that wasn't all: the English weather greeted us with a little bit of rain ("little" meaning it rained cats and dogs, as they say over here). And it was even getting worse! When Andy and I had carried al of my stuff to my block, the pin code door lock didn't work, because someone had locked it from the inside. So the porter and I looked for another way to get into my block. What an adventure...I got a full tour of the college in my first night, including the firestairs. By the time we had all the stuff in my room it was 5:30 in the morning and we didn't have anything to drink any more. The porter was really nice and gave us 2 cups, tea and a glass of milk...so Andy and I had our first real British tea.
 

Later on we got up to explore the city. And guess what?! It was raining again...what a surprise!
What an overwhelming feeling...I still can't believe I'm actually going to study in this place.

Anyways, I'm really excited, because I'm gonna meet some of my fellow MBA students tonight at the "Head of the river". Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home